From Sean Connin's Visual Literacy workshop 10/26/2011
Selection Guides and Tools
A History Of The Modern World, In Less Than Five Minutes : Planet Money : NPR
Motion chart - Add to your homepage
NEW YORK CITY GRAFFITI & STREET ART PROJECT
New York Times Infographics and data visualizations | Small labs Inc.
- *Periodic Table of visualization methods - an interactive chart that lives up to its name.
- Chartchooser - Provides an interactive display to select graphical options for a given data visualization need. These can then be downloaded, with formatting, in Excel etc.
- Google Earth - downloadable virtual globe.
- Google Maps- web-based 2D map viewer.
- Gliffy - web-based chart and diagram tool.
- Vis4All - offers a consumer review of various visualization tools and visualizations
- Photosynth - create panoramas with 3-D quality.
- CleVR - a free panoramic photo stitcher.
- Make3D - an online tool to turn your images into 3D representations. From Stanford.
- * VoiceThread - Create combined visual-audio clips. View this Art Appreciation example. This VoiceThread for Educators page is also a good reference point. This article from ProfHacker may also be of interest. Mike Winiski (Furman U) describes his use of VoiceThread to support Pecha Kucha presentations in undergraduate science.
- Timeline - A web-based widget for creating interactive timelines.
- Timemap - time based mapping applet to interactive maps. This application is open-source and may require some entry level knowledge of html.
- History Flow -tool for visualizing evolving documents and the interactions of multiple authors.
- Color Symbolism Chart - identifies the cultural significance of various colors.
- Aviary - online image editing and effects tool.Textorizer - create art from text
- TreeViz and SpaceTree - are two online tools for creating various forms of tree diagrams.
- SOPHIE - a free java-based platform for publishing media rich books and text.
- Protovis - an open source project from Stanford for graphical data presentation.
- Improvise - a free application to create "integrated metavisualizations" of information and data.
- iCharts - publish and distribute data on the web.
- UMapper - create a map from any image file.
- Web2PDF - Convert a web-page to PDF
- Robert E Horn - visiting scholar at Stanford uses visual description of interests on website.
- Public Data Explorer - explore and visualize public data sets with this Google tool.
- Gephi - graphics for network analysis and other hierarchical data.
- GeoGebra - free application for data graphics and math education.
- Tableau Public - free version of Tableau data visualization software.
- Visualization Toolkit (VTK) - open source software for 3D graphics
- Improvise - free software to interactively build and display data graphics with multiple views
- Flare - free software for i interactive data visualization
- Walrus - interactive tool for 3D visualization of networks
- Comment Space - an interactive online tool for community exploration of data. Similar premise as Many Eyes.
- Data Market - 100 million tim